2018-2019 application period
November 6, 2017 - February 16, 2018
Kenner Discovery Health Sciences Academy is an equal opportunity educational provider. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation and/or age in educational programs or activities that it operates.
K-10 Student application
All Jefferson Parish students entering grades Kindergarten through 10th grade are eligible to apply for the 2018-2019 school year.
To apply click here: https://discoveryapplication.com/
LA 4 Application
Students applying for LA 4 must apply through Jefferson Parish. The LA 4 application and lottery is separate from our admissions process.The LA 4 application will not be available until January 2018. LA 4 Program
Kindergarten - 415 Williams Blvd. Kenner, LA 70065
LA4, 1st-8th - 2504 Maine Ave. Metairie, LA 70003
High School - 201 Vintage Dr. Kenner, LA 70065
Discovery is an open enrollment tuition free public charter school in Jefferson Parish. The application period for the 2018-2019 school year starts November 6, 2017 and ends February 16, 2018 at 10 AM. If the number of applicants submitted within the application period exceeds the number of seats available for any grade level, a computer generated, random lottery will be run in order to determine who is offered a seat at the school. Since Discovery is a high demand school with a 96 percent return on students, we expect to conduct a lottery for all grade levels with open seats. Applicants applying to grades with no open seats will be entered in the lottery to determine the number on the waitlist. The waitlist remains active until January 31, 2019.
All applications submitted within the application period will have an equal opportunity for admission, regardless of whether they are submitted on the first day or the last day of the application period.
Applications submitted for the 2017-18 school year will not be valid, roll over, or be processed in the 2018-19 lottery. A new application must be submitted during the application period in order to be considered for a 2018-19 seat.
GEOGRAPHIC BOUNDARIES & LOTTERY PREFERENCES
Faculty students and siblings of current students have preferential placement for open seats. Our geographic area is the city of Kenner; students living in Kenner will have preferential admissions for a percentage of available seats. Economically disadvantaged students have preferential admissions for a percentage of available seats.
All preferences shall be considered in the following order:
- Applicant child of a school employee.
- Applicant sibling of a currently attending student.
- Applicant who are residents of Kenner and considered Economically Disadvantaged.
- Applicant who are residents of Jefferson Parish and considered Economically Disadvantaged.
- Applicants who are residents of Kenner.
- Applicants who are residents of Jefferson Parish.
Siblings who are applying for the first time will receive preference only after one of the siblings has been enrolled.
Student Application Process
Applications are now submitted online only. If assistance is needed to complete the online application, please make an appointment by contacting Patty Silva at 504-229-2141 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The online application process will allow parents to save and finish the application later if needed. All required documents must be submitted online with the application. We encourage applicants to apply early so if there is a document missing we can notify the parent. The last day to submit a completed application is Friday, February 16, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. Applications with missing required documents will not be eligible for the admissions lottery. No pupil shall be admitted during the application period. The admissions lottery will be held Tuesday, March 6, 2018. It is open to the public. Notification of admission or placement on the waitlist will be announced at the lottery and will be emailed to parents/guardians after the lottery is complete and results are verified.
Required Student Documents
- Birth certificate
- Immunization record
- Most recent report card or annual test scores (to verify grade placement)
- 3 proofs of residency - all proofs of residency must be in the parent/guardian name and the same address as the student.
- Free and Reduced Lunch form
- Current IEP if applicable
- Current IAP/504 Plan if applicable
Lottery & Waitlist
If the total number of applicants exceeds the school capacity, applicants shall be admitted based on a weighted admissions lottery. The school will use the lottery in order to reach maximum capacity, and also to determine the order in which students are placed on a waitlist. If an opening occurs at the school, the following procedure will be followed. If a students withdraws, the seat will be filled by the next student on the waitlist. The waitlist is active from the time of the Lottery to January 31, 2019. Any student who remains on the waitlist must re-apply the following school year. All applicants offered a seat shall be required to confirm their enrollment status by April 2, 2018.
When: March 6, 2018
Time: 3:00 - 4:30, 10th- 5th
5:00 - 7:00, 4th-Pre-K
Where: Vineyard Church – 4340 Sal Lentini Pkwy, Kenner, LA 70065
The lottery is open to the public, but your presence is not required in order to secure a seat. All applicants will be notified by email of their enrollment status or number on the waitlist following the lottery. The 2018 lottery protocol will be available on our website by the afternoon of, March 6, 2018.
Lottery Rules and Procedures Rules
- Lottery refers to the selection of applicant names by a random method in a computer generated process.
- A lottery shall be conducted by the school to include all grades in which the number of applicants exceeds the number of expected seats available.
- If the number of applicants is less than the number of seats anticipated to be available, seats will be awarded and no lottery shall be conducted for that grade.
- All applicants (students not already attending school, including siblings of those already attending) participate in the lottery.
- Only completed applications received prior to the end of the application deadline are eligible to participate in the lottery.
- All applicants offered a seat shall be required to confirm their enrollment status within the designated time.
- All preference categories shall be published prior to the lottery being conducted.
- All applicants entitled to receive a lottery preference shall be identified PRIOR to the lottery.
- Preference status applicants are entitled to a percentage of open seats ahead of applicants without a preference status.
JPPSS Placement Test
According to the district, 5th through 9th grade students who enter a Jefferson Parish Public School from a non-public school/setting will need to take a summer Placement Test in English Language Arts and Math before being admitted. Details on the placement test will be issued by the district. Test results may impact grade level placement, but not enrollment.