DR. JOHN OCHSNER DISCOVERY HEALTH SCIENCES ACADEMY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL PROVIDER. WE DO NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, SEX, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION AND/OR AGE IN EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS OR ACTIVITIES THAT IT OPERATES.
The application period for the 2021-22 school is now closed. Please check back in the fall for the 2022-23 application window dates.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
All Jefferson Parish residents are eligible to apply. To be eligible for Kindergarten students must be 5 years of age by or before September 30.
NO ADMISSIONS TEST
Dr. John Ochsner Discovery is an open enrollment school and does not test students to gain admission.
HOW TO APPLY
Our application is online. The online application allows parents to save and finish the application later if needed. All supporting documents must be submitted online with the application. We encourage applicants to apply early so if there is a document missing the admissions team can notify the parent. Applications with missing required documents will not be eligible for the admissions lottery. No pupil shall be admitted during the application period.
- Children of Discovery faculty
- Siblings of current DJOD students. Siblings must have the same biological parents or legal guardians AND reside at the same address as each other.
- Ochsner Employees: 50% of open seats are designated for Ochsner employees’ children (dependents) living in Jefferson Parish who meet the criteria set forth by Ochsner Human Resources.
- Residents of the Surrounding Neighborhood: 20% of open seats are designated for residents of the surrounding neighborhood (see map).
- Economically Disadvantaged (with supporting documents)
LOTTERY RULES AND PROCEDURES
- Lottery refers to the selection of applicant names by a random method in a computer generated process.
- A lottery shall be conducted by the school to include all grades in which the number of applicants exceeds the number of expected seats available.
- If the number of applicants is less than the number of seats anticipated to be available, seats will be awarded and no lottery shall be conducted for that grade.
- All applicants (students not already attending school, including siblings of those already attending) participate in the lottery.
- Only completed applications received prior to the end of the application deadline are eligible to participate in the lottery.
- All applicants offered a seat shall be required to confirm their enrollment status within the designated time.
- All preference categories shall be published prior to the lottery being conducted.
- All applicants entitled to receive a lottery preference shall be identified PRIOR to the lottery.
- Preference status applicants are entitled to a percentage of open seats ahead of applicants without a preference status.
JPPSS PLACEMENT TEST
According to the district, 5th through 9th grade students who enter a Jefferson Parish Public School from a non-public school/setting will need to take a summer Placement Test in English Language Arts and Math before being admitted. Details on the placement test will be issued by the district. Test results may impact grade level placement, but not enrollment.