DR. JOHN OCHSNER DISCOVERY HEALTH SCIENCES ACADEMY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL PROVIDER. WE DO NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, SEX, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION AND/OR AGE IN EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS OR ACTIVITIES THAT IT OPERATES.
The application period for the 2021-22 school year will open on November 2, 2020 and end February 5, 2021.
- Anyone on the wait list from the previous application period must re-apply.
- The wait list does not carry over from year to year.
- Current students do not need to re-apply.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
All Jefferson Parish residents are eligible to apply. DJOD is accepting applications for students entering K-6th grade. Discovery Schools has a 99 percent student retention rate, therefore, we anticipate open seats in grades Kindergarten and 6th grade.
NO ADMISSIONS TEST
Dr. John Ochsner Discovery is an open enrollment school and does not test students to gain admission.
HOW TO APPLY
Our application is online. The online application allows parents to save and finish the application later if needed. All supporting documents must be submitted online with the application. We encourage applicants to apply early so if there is a document missing the admissions team can notify the parent. Applications with missing required documents will not be eligible for the admissions lottery. No pupil shall be admitted during the application period.
We suggest gathering the following documents before you start your online application.
Tips for attaching documents to your child's application:
If you do not have access to a scanner to scan documents, you can use your smartphone or tablet.
- Place the document on a solid background for good contrast
- Find good lighting, avoid shadows across the document
- Hold your smartphone or tablet flat, keep it as square to the document as possible
- Make sure the image is not blurry and the information is legible
If you are completing the application from your mobile phone, you can attach the document directly from your phone. If you are using a desktop you will need to email the images of your documents to your personal email account. Then save them to the desktop computer you are using to submit your application.
|Required Student Documents||Requested Documents|
LOTTERY & WAIT LIST
If the number of applicants exceeds the number of seats available for any grade level, a computer generated, random lottery will be run in order to determine who is offered a seat at the school and the wait list. The wait list remains active until January 31, 2022. All applications submitted within the application period will have an equal opportunity for admission, regardless of whether they are submitted on the first day or the last day of the application period.
The lottery is typically open to the public; however, due to COVID-19, the lottery will be broadcasted via a live stream. All applicants will be notified by email of their enrollment status or number on the waitlist following the lottery. The 2021 lottery protocol will be available on the website by the afternoon of March 15, 2021.
When: Tuesday, March 16, 2021
- Children of Discovery faculty
- Siblings of current DJOD students. Siblings must have the same biological parents or legal guardians AND reside at the same address as each other.
- Ochsner Employees: 50% of open seats are designated for Ochsner employees’ children (dependents) living in Jefferson Parish who meet the criteria set forth by Ochsner Human Resources.
- Residents of the Surrounding Neighborhood: 20% of open seats are designated for residents of the surrounding neighborhood (see map).
- Economically Disadvantaged (with supporting documents)
LOTTERY RULES AND PROCEDURES
- Lottery refers to the selection of applicant names by a random method in a computer generated process.
- A lottery shall be conducted by the school to include all grades in which the number of applicants exceeds the number of expected seats available.
- If the number of applicants is less than the number of seats anticipated to be available, seats will be awarded and no lottery shall be conducted for that grade.
- All applicants (students not already attending school, including siblings of those already attending) participate in the lottery.
- Only completed applications received prior to the end of the application deadline are eligible to participate in the lottery.
- All applicants offered a seat shall be required to confirm their enrollment status within the designated time.
- All preference categories shall be published prior to the lottery being conducted.
- All applicants entitled to receive a lottery preference shall be identified PRIOR to the lottery.
- Preference status applicants are entitled to a percentage of open seats ahead of applicants without a preference status.