KENNER DISCOVERY HEALTH SCIENCES ACADEMY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL PROVIDER. WE DO NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, SEX, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION AND/OR AGE IN EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS OR ACTIVITIES THAT IT OPERATES.
The application period for the 2021-22 school year will open on November 2, 2020 and end February 5, 2021.
- Anyone on the wait list from the previous application period must re-apply.
- The wait list does not carry over from year to year.
- Current students do not need to re-apply.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
All Jefferson Parish residents are eligible to apply. Kenner Discovery will accept applications for students entering grades Kindergarten through 12th. Discovery Schools has a 99 percent student retention rate, therefore, we anticipate open seats in grades Kindergarten, 5th and 9th.
NO ADMISSIONS TEST
Kenner Discovery is an open-enrollment school and does not test students to gain admission.
KENNER DISCOVERY PRE-K 4
Kenner Discovery will not offer a Discovery lottery based Pre-K program for the 2021-2022 school year.
LA 4 EARLY CHILDHOOD PROGRAM
There is an opportunity for economically disadvantaged families to apply to the LA 4 Program. The application process and LA 4 lottery are administered entirely under the direction and control of the Jefferson Parish Public School System (JPPSS).
Discovery is hopeful that we will have a partnership with JPPSS as a Program Partner; however, that has not been confirmed at this time. Discovery Schools is requesting 1 LA 4 class (20 students) at DJOD and 2 LA 4 classes (40 students) at Kenner Discovery (Maine Avenue Campus).
Should Discovery be selected as a Program Partner with JPPSS for LA 4, Discovery is not able to assist with the application process or accept applications for LA 4. Our LA 4 students who are accepted to Discovery via the JPPSS process will be eligible to remain at Discovery for Kindergarten without entering Discovery’s application and lottery process. To learn more about applying to the LA 4 program, visit the Jefferson Parish Public Schools System pre-kindergarten website.
TO APPLY FOR K-12
The application is online. The online application allows parents to save and finish the application later if needed. All supporting documents must be submitted online with the application. We encourage applicants to apply early so if there is a document missing the admissions team can notify the parent. Applications with missing required documents will not be eligible for the admissions lottery. No pupil shall be admitted during the application period.
We suggest gathering the following documents before you start your online application.
Tips for attaching documents to your child's application:
If you do not have access to a scanner to scan documents, you can use your smartphone or tablet.
- Place the document on a solid background for good contrast
- Find good lighting, avoid shadows across the document
- Hold your smartphone or tablet flat, keep it as square to the document as possible
- Make sure the image is not blurry and the information is legible
If you are completing the application from your mobile phone, you can attach the document directly from your phone. If you are using a desktop you will need to email the images of your documents to your personal email account. Then save them to the desktop computer you are using to submit your application.
|Required Student Documents||Requested Student Documents|
LOTTERY & WAIT LIST
If the number of applicants exceeds the number of seats available for any grade level, a computer generated, random lottery will be run in order to determine who is offered a seat at the school. Since Discovery is a high demand school with a 96 percent student retention rate, we expect to conduct a lottery for all grade levels with open seats. Applicants applying to grades with zero open seats will be entered in the lottery to determine the number on the wait list. The wait list remains active until January 31, 2022. All applications submitted within the application period will have an equal opportunity for admission, regardless of whether they are submitted on the first day or the last day of the application period. Applications submitted for the 2020-21 school year will not be valid, roll over, or processed in the 2021-22 lottery. A new application must be submitted during the application period in order to be considered for a 2021-22 seat.
The lottery is typically open to the public; however, due to COVID-19, the lottery will be broadcasted via a live stream. All applicants will be notified by email of their enrollment status or number on the waitlist following the lottery. The 2021 lottery protocol will be available on the website by the afternoon of March 15, 2021.
Lottery Date: TUESDAY, MARCH 16, 2021
Faculty students and siblings of current students have preferential placement for open seats. Siblings who are applying for the first time will receive preference only after one of the siblings has attended for one year. Our geographic area is the city of Kenner; students living in Kenner will have preferential admissions for a percentage of available seats. Louisiana state statutes require all Type 1 charter schools to enroll a certain percentage of economically disadvantaged students. Therefore, economically disadvantaged students have a preference in our lottery. If your student is classified as economically disadvantaged you will need to provide supporting documents with your student's application.
All preferences shall be considered in the following order:
- Children of Discovery faculty
- Siblings of current KDHSA students. Siblings must have the same biological parents or legal guardians AND reside at the same address as each other.
- Applicant who are residents of Kenner and considered Economically Disadvantaged.
- Applicant who are residents of Jefferson Parish and considered Economically Disadvantaged.
- Applicants who are residents of Kenner.
- Applicants who are residents of Jefferson Parish.
LOTTERY RULES AND PROCEDURES RULES
- Lottery refers to the selection of applicant names by a random method in a computer generated process.
- A lottery shall be conducted by the school to include all grades in which the number of applicants exceeds the number of expected seats available.
- If the number of applicants is less than the number of seats anticipated to be available, seats will be awarded and no lottery shall be conducted for that grade.
- All applicants (students not already attending school, including siblings of those already attending) participate in the lottery.
- Only completed applications received prior to the end of the application deadline are eligible to participate in the lottery.
- All applicants offered a seat shall be required to confirm their enrollment status within the designated time.
- All preference categories shall be published prior to the lottery being conducted.
- All applicants entitled to receive a lottery preference shall be identified PRIOR to the lottery.
- Preference status applicants are entitled to a percentage of open seats ahead of applicants without a preference status.
JPPSS PLACEMENT TEST
According to the district, 5th through 9th grade students who enter a Jefferson Parish Public School from a non-public school/setting will need to take a summer Placement Test in English Language Arts and Math before being admitted. Details on the placement test will be issued by the district. Test results may impact grade level placement, but not enrollment.